About the Department
The Department of Commerce (Honours) was started in the year 2011 and DG Vaishnav College is the first college to be affiliated by the University of Madras for this prestigious programme. Since its inception, the department has been growing in leaps and bounds to cater to the intellectual pursuit of Commerce students. Students secured 75% or above in their higher secondary examination are eligible to be admitted to this Programme. The curriculum has been designed in such a way as to cater to the needs of the industries i.e., ‘Academic-industry Interface’. The Programme offers:
- 43 academic papers spread over the 6 semesters
- 14 weeks internship spread over the 5 semesters
- 1 project in the final VI semester
- 175 credit points
- Department is offering Life skills for youth as Value added Course
The minimum passing requirement for the end-semester examination is benchmarked at 50% in order to maintain the high standards of the curriculum.
- To develop the conceptual and practical skills related to commerce.
- To expose the students to the areas and application of knowledge in business firms and industrial organizations.
To be the center for providing quality and value-based education in commerce, management and related fields with holistic concern for leading a better life, enhancing the environment and rendering service to the society.
- Empowering students with all qualities required to become a personage management professional.
- Providing holistic and values based development of students which ultimately enhance employability.
- Grooming the students to become an innovative and charismatic leader which contributes to the success of the organization as well as country at large.
- Facilitating the academic progress of the students by encouraging them to actively participate in experiential learning viz internships, conference, seminars & Workshops.
INTEGRATION WITH US CMA
US CMA (Certified Management Accountant) is a globally recognized, advanced-level qualification appropriate for accountants and financial professionals in a business concern. Achieving CMA demonstrates professional expertise in financial planning, analysis, control, decision support, and professional ethics – skills that are in demand by organizations all over the world. Basically, CMAs can explain the "why" behind numbers and not just the "what". Therefore, CMA qualification gives greater credibility, higher earning potential, and ultimately a seat at the leadership table.
In partnership with IMA (Institute of Management Accountants - USA), Wiley and Miles Education, the US CMA has been integrated into the university curriculum such that students will cover all 12 core competencies covered on US CMA in the first 4 semesters. Thereafter, in the 5th Semester, the students are expected to appear and pass the 2 CMA exams.
- Part 1 - Financial Planning, Performance & Analytics
- Part 2 - Strategic Financial Management
When students appear for placements with MNC’s in early 6th Semester, they will stand apart as university graduate with IMA membership and globally recognized CMA.
Best Practices of the Department
- Lectures by external professionals on a regular basis
- Group discussions to develop the communication and thinking skills of the students.
- Active learning and rewarding student participation in seminars and conferences and also in cultural events
- Feedback from students to improve the teaching methods and tools
- Inculcate a sense of responsibility among the students to enable them to handle different situations in college and in outside world.