About the Department
D.G. Vaishnav College dedicated to excellence in teaching and service to the students’ community offers Bachelor of Science in Physics with Computer Applications and Masters of Science in Physics. Located on the scenic campus of the D.G Vaishnav College, the Department of Physics started its post graduate course (M.Sc) in 2000. The Department today is well equipped to produce high quality post-graduates. The syllabus of the Department covers a number of areas like Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Mathematical Physics, Solid State Physics, and Materials Science etc...Various alumni from this Department have been at the forefront of research organizations in the country and elsewhere. The Department of Physics with Computer Science, B.Sc (PCA) is the bridging block for the graduates to understand and orient themselves into two major courses namely Physics and Computer Science. It was started in the year 2010 and plays a vital role in inspiring the students to have a strong background in the basic science as well as Computers so as to produce competent professionals. The areas of study offered by this Department are English, Language, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Soft Skills, Value Education and Environmental Science which are essential for the students to enhance their ability to analyze and tackle challenges and communicate their ideas effectively. The faculty of Department of Physics are highly qualified and experienced with a rich profile in their respective fields. There are a good no. of Doctorates with research articles published at National and International levels The faculty has attended many workshops, conferences, seminars, symposiums, faculty development programmes and other training programmes which enhance their teaching capabilities in order to guide and teach their students better. The strength of the Department lies in its dedicated faculties, students and well equipped laboratories. In this new era, the Department of Physics aspires to become one of the most sought out Physics Department.
1. Offer high-quality and effective instruction education that is appropriate at graduate professional and postgraduate levels and make sure that the learning efficiency of the students increase providing them with opportunities to achieve their goals.
2. Provide a curriculum that prepares the students to become career-oriented professionals. Provide internships and other possible means to enhance their skills.
3. Teach students how to understand that science is a multifaceted, humanistic discipline capable of problem solving and also to use computers effectively, creatively, and intelligently to further their career.
4. Provide up-to-date curriculum in the technical and scientific knowledge needed for the professional and academic goals of our students. Teach students how to acquire new knowledge, independently, in a world that changes with ever increasing rapidity.
5. Encouraging the young graduates and post-graduates to pursue research. Provide students with opportunities to participate in experiential learning activities, make arrangements for interactions with Scientists by means of seminar, conferences.
6. Making the students knowledgeable with the latest state-of-the-art approaches and technologies via presentations, publications, and outreach.
Physics, the study of matter and energy, is an ancient and broad field of science. The word 'physics' comes from the Greek 'knowledge of nature,' and in general, the field aims to analyze and understand the natural phenomena of the universe. Physics is often considered to be the most fundamental science. It provides a basis for all other sciences.
The mission of the B.SC (PHYSICS WITH COMPUTER APPLICATIONS) degree program in the Department of Physics is to provide undergraduate students an understanding of the fundamental physical concepts in Physics as well as to have a foothold in Computer Science. To educate students to be successful, ethical, and effective problem-solvers and life-long learners who will be positive, creative, sharing, and apply their knowledge to benefit humanity
The mission of the M.Sc (PHYSICS) degree program in the Department of Physics is to provide graduate students with the ability to master their knowledge of Physics while enhancing experimental, theoretical and professional skills. The aim is to help build a better future by providing aspiring young graduates with the opportunity to obtain an insightful education that emphasizes critical thinking, rigorous and effective application of the scientific method, quantitative analysis, clear and accurate written and verbal communication and intensive experiential learning activities.
1. A goal of our M.Sc program is to start our Ph.D program to help our students become innovative scholars.
2. Provide online education as a means of increasing efficiency, increasing student learning.
3. Pursue excellence in scholarship and seek support for our research and graduate programs through research grants and contracts.
4. Create a strong sense of belonging, pride, and common purpose within and between our students, and our faculty. The establishment of Sophisticated Analytical Instrumentation Facility which will benefit students faculty and research scholars
5. Offer professional development opportunities like interview skills, certificate courses within the college and connect students to professional organizations.
6. Engage alumni to interact with the students to share their experiences and provide moral support. The Physics association of the Department is OMICRON. The objectives of this association are to develop a scientific aptitude in the students, to promote close understanding of the subject through discussions, to provide opportunities to get in touch with the latest developments in Physics, by arranging seminars.
The Physics Department with the objective of developing the academic and cultural talents of the students, improving their capabilities to work as a team and raising their level of self-confidence in interacting with fellow students and peers organizes every year an Intercollegiate competition. Competitions included Quiz, Sci-Fi, Treasure Hunt, Wealth from Waste, Online Photography, Pot-Pouri, PPT etc.
Winners of the competitions are awarded certificates, and the overall winner, runners-up and Quiz winners are given trophies. In order to give practical exposure to students, the Department every year arranges for Industrial visit/Educational tour to various places.
The students of I M.Sc and II M.Sc Physics visited IGCAR, Kalpakkam on February 06th 2018. The students had the opportunity to understand the working of the fast breeder nuclear reactor and the various instrumentation facilities available in IGCAR.
Head of the Department
Dr. A. Chinnammal Janaki, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., PGDCA
Mr. P. SatishKumar, M.Sc., M.Phil., SET
Courses offered by the Department
- B.Sc. (PHYSICS WITH COMPUTER APPLICATIONS)
- M.Sc. PHYSICS
Will be updated soon...
Timetable for All Courses
Will be updated soon...