About the Department
The Department of Commerce (Shift I) was established in the year 1968. The B. Com Programme offered by the Department, which is called B. Com(General) now, is more than 50 years old, since, it was started and is also the most sought-after programme of the college. There are 3 sections, each accommodating 70+ students. Both boys and girls are admitted into the programme. The M.Com Programme was started in the year 1978. The Department has been recognized as the center for conducting Research, leading to the award of M. Phil and Ph.D. degrees, since the year 1980. More than 400 M.Phil. scholars and about 90 Ph.D. scholars have completed their Research in the Department so far. The Department has a consistent record of achieving more than 90% results with several University Ranks. 16 out of the 18 Faculty Members have qualified for Ph.D. The Department of Commerce (Shift I) is a fully Aided Department.
The Department of Commerce is one of the largest Department among colleges in Tamil Nadu. The Department celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2019. The Hon’ble Governor of Tamil Nadu, His Excellence Shri. Banwarilal Purohit, graced the occasion. The Department also brought a souvenir commemorating its Golden Jubilee. Our students excel in sports and extension activities too. The Department aims at providing a conducive ambience for learning Commerce and career-oriented subjects, keeping in view the changing trends in Education. The College has attained its Autonomous status in the year 2009, which helpthe Department to introduce innovative courses to meet the current requirement of the industry. The department has always recorded a very high success rate. Most of the passed-out students are well placed in reputed organizations and hold key positions. The Department has been revising the Syllabus regularly under the Choice Based Credit System. Students every year take part in various cultural and extra-curricular activities and win many prizes and bring laurels to the Department and the College. Recently, the Department has launched its newsletter entitled ‘COMTalk’. It is brought out quarterly and features articles and write ups, both by the faculty and the students. The Activities of the Department from time to time also figures in the newsletter.
The Post Graduate students of the Department are motivated constantly to appear for NET & SET exams, which is now mandatory to take up teaching as their career. In fact, a good number of our PG students have cleared these exams and have become Faculty Members in our own College and in other Colleges as well. Moreover, a good number of our PG students also pursue M.Phil. and Ph.D., Research Programmes every year. The Alumni of the Department are very active and they contribute to the progress of the Department by providing financial assistance and by participating as Resource Persons for the various programmes organized by the Department.
The Department offers a number of Value-Added Courses by collaborating with various outside Institutions. These include courses on GST, Tally, MSME, Capital Markets, etc. Our students are motivated to pursue Online Courses offered under MOOC / Swayam portals.
- To impart value based quality academia in commerce and to empower students to align with the current business scenario.
- Smart Learning in digital environment
- Conduct Skill based training to students
- Pioneering the students to align their thoughts to reach out to the global business practices
- Channelizing e-content and Modules for the commerce curriculum
The main objective of the Department is to provide quality education in the discipline of Commerce. Its other objectives may be stated as follows:
- To motivate students to have a professional career in Commerce by taking up such courses as CA, ICWA and ACS.
- To encourage students who don’t aspire for a professional career in Commerce to take up the M.Com Degree Course that would help them to have an academic career.
- To provide all kinds of assistance to those who aspire for research in Commerce by admitting them into the M.Phil./Ph.D Programmes. There are Guides to assist them in their research work.
- To offer certificate courses by collaborating with the Institutions that conduct these courses. These courses enhance the employment prospects of the students.
- To organize guest lectures, workshops, debates, quiz programmes etc. that would help in the personality development of the students.
- To provide placement opportunities for the students.
Best Practices of the Department
- The Department has its newsletter titled ‘COMTalk’, aimed to highlight the recent trends in commerce and to provide an opportunity to the faculty members and the students to share the view points on contemporary issues.
- The faculties of the department have to their credit, several books authored on commerce related titles, which are widely recommended by prominent universities across the country.
- Being a Research department, we focus on various Research initiatives, Content writing, and Presenting Papers at International/ National journals, seminars and conferences.
- The department provides conducive environment for students to pursue professional courses and also support students to excel in curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Certificate Course on Stock, Currency, Commodity and Crypto Trading is introduced by the department, aimed to complement academic achievements with practical skills and also to enhance the employability of students.
- Industrial Visits are organized with an aim to go beyond academics, provide students a practical perspective on the world of work and an opportunity to learn practically through interaction, working methods and employment practices.
- As educators, the faculties of the department constantly impart values, morals and virtue among the student community, to work together in accomplishing objectives.
- First department to implement Plagiarism for M.Phil Dissertation
Courses offered by the Department
- B.Com (General)
- M.Com (General)
- Commerce (Full Time & Part Time)
|Time Table - Odd Semester||Download|
|Time Table - Even Semester||Download|
MOU with Institute of Cost & Works Accountants of India
Factory Visit to TI Cycles of India
Alumni of the Department giving host performance - golden Jubilee celebrations
Aacharya Devo Bhava- An Amalgam of Retired & Existing Faculty Members of the Department
Governor address to students
Golden Jubilee Release
Golden Jubilee Lamp Lighting
Golden Jubilee Release
COMTalk NewsLetter Release
|Dr. J. Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce -Episode 1 - Management Concepts in Thirukkural||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 2 - Research in Commerce||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 3 Importance of Human Resource Management||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 4 - Decision Making in Business||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 5 - Key Concepts of Marketing||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 6 - Essentials of a Contract||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 7 - Insurance||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 8 Accounting Concepts & Conventions||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 9 Consumer Protection||Click here to view|
|Dr J Jayasankar's Lecture Series in Commerce Episode 10 - Personality||Click here to view|
Department Webinar Links
|Tax Awareness Lecture Series I||Click here to view|
|Tax Awareness Lecture Series II||Click here to view|
|Tax Awareness Lecture Series III||Click here to view|
|Skill Enhancement Workshop||Click here to view|
|Re-energizing the classroom innovative teaching techniques||Click here to view|
|Career Opportunity for Commerce Students||Click here to view|
|Looming Progressions and practicality of Audit in the corporate sector||Click here to view|
|Research in Commerce and Social Sciences – Session 1||Click here to view|
|Research in Commerce and Social Sciences – Session2||Click here to view|
|Research in Commerce and Social Sciences – Session3||Click here to view|
|Research in Commerce and Social Sciences – Session4||Click here to view|
|Research in Commerce and Social Sciences – Session5||Click here to view|
|Academic Activity 2020-2021||Download|
|Annual Planner 2020-2021||Download|
|Annual Planner 2022-2023||Download|
|Alumni Meet 2019-2020||Download|
|Academic Calendar 2022-2023||Download|
Memorandum of Understanding
|Value Added Courses||Download|
|MoU Tally 2021-2022||Download|