About the Department
The Department of Physics was established in the year 1964 by the visionary Prof. S.R.Govindarajan. Three teachers from this Department served as Principal of our college - Shri S.R.Govindarajan, Shri C.Rangarajan, Dr.B.Krishnan and contributed to the growth of the institution immensely. This Department has a always been unique among the city colleges for nurturing skills along with academics through its Astronomy club and Photography club in yesteryears and currently through its Triple Helix club (affiliated to VIGYAR PRASAR under DST, Govt. of India)and STEM activities. Currently our department has been popularizing Foldscope, an innovation of Stanford university through DBT Foldscope project.
The Department has always had a legacy of having great teachers Dr.S.Srinivasan, Prof.R.Ananthan, Prof.A.Ramaswamy, Prof.G.Ramamurthi, Prof.Mathrubutham, who inspired students, took them into their folds through their absorbing lectures, interactions and this legacy continues. The Department has a well equipped lab, excellent teaching staff and lab assistants provides excellent facilities with a student friendly environment for the undergraduates to work individually as well be part of groups. This gives each student the courage to hone her/his abilities, work habits and traits to evolve into graduates equipped with 21st Century skills. With the prestigious DBT STAR College Support Scheme, MHRD, Govt. of India, this department has been an exemplary in imparting hands-on skills, trainings in collaboration with various research institutes, government agriculture department, forest department, museum and many other private institutes of excellence in research. With its strong belief in trans-disciplinary approach, it constantly breaks the barriers and has introduced Microbiology Laboratory Techniques, Hands–on training in biochemical techniques for Physics Students which have become a part of our curriculum. We are actively involved in Popularization of Science through STEM activities to various Chennai Corporation Schools and other Schools.
- To create an academic base that responds to the need of the students to understand the basics of Physics and it’s ever evolving nature of applications in explaining all observed natural phenomenon as well as predicting the future applications to the new phenomenon with a global perspective.
- Apply one’s knowledge and understanding relating to physics and skills to new/unfamiliar contexts and to identify and analyze problems and issues and seek solutions to real-life problems.
- To be a tool for transformation marching in the toad map of our country’s vision towards Higher Education.
- To train the students to develop the scientific temper, achieve excellence in education in the field of Physics and related areas and equip them with skills, knowledge and become life- long learners.
Best Practices of the Department
- The Department has Triple Helix Science Club – Bronze Club – Affiliated to Vigyan prasar , DST , Govt. of India.
- STEM extension activities through Triple Helix Science club
- DBT Foldscope workshops, innovative thinking workshops, participation in Global science/ citizen science projects , women in STEM initiatives that address various facets of society and social issues
- Creation of resource materials for learning Science in Tamil through Dubbing Science videos of Arvind Gupta
- Students undertake translations of various STEM initiative of our Govt. in Tamil, publish them in science magazines
- Meet your alumni- to advice the students to prepare for various competitive exams , walk their path to understand exams for higher education
- Values embedded with Indian cultural ethos such as festivals , besides commemoration of important days linked with science (like Sarvodaya day, Nari Shakthi- women scientists talk, Asteroid day , Madras week celebration, Zero shadow day )