About the Department
The legendary history of Department of Botany traces its origin back to 1964 from the days it existed as a Natural Science Department. The well- known Botanist Prof. K.N. Rao, headed the Department for a long time with four Teachers, in Botany and Zoology subjects. Following the closure of PUC in the Universities and Colleges, the Department became full-fledged Department of Botany with Zoology & Chemistry as Allied to Botany Major. This happened in the year 1975 with proper Affiliation to the University of Madras. In 2005 the programme was renamed as Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology. Recently, in 2015 Ph.D (Full time) programme (Botany) was introduced for admitting post graduate students in Botany. Add on courses, field visits are also undertaken every year and students are also encouraged to attend symposia, seminars and conferences in the field of science with proper guidance from the faculties.
A high standard syllabus is in practice, keeping in mind the interest of students, current trends in the field of Biology, all competitive exams for Biology oriented subjects and also self-employment opportunities. Recently, it is revised as per TANSCHE norms in updated form. The Department was honoured in the recent past under UGC XIth plan by UGC & Dept. of Biotechnology (DBT Star College Scheme by Central Government under Ministry of Science & Technology). The Department has a spacious and well equipped Lab and also a Book- Bank for reference. Books in Biology are available in the College Library too.
Since 2009, when the College became Autonomous, the Department also became Autonomous with appropriate changes in the conduct of the course and pattern of Examination with more sincerity and care.
- To equip the students with an overall knowledge of plant science.
- To develop human resources with expertise in skill based areas of plant sciences.
- To ignite students with requisite knowledge for lifelong learning and achieve greater heights in the field of research, entrepreneurship and teaching positions in Biological sciences.
- Exploration of Plants and realize their significance in the entire Ecosystem.
- Keeping in pace with the emerging trends in teaching and learning processes with necessary facilities in the field of Biology for students.
- Exploring and understanding the Flora and their significance in human Life and the Earth Ecosystem.
- With add on programmes and co-curricular activities, enriching the knowledge of students in the course concerned.
- To provide young Biologists an overall knowledge in Plant science and make them understand the significance in Human Life.
Eligibility for Admission
Candidates for admission to the first year of the B.Sc Degree course (Plant biology and Plant Biotechnology) are required to have a pass in the Higher Secondary Examination (Biology/Botany/Zoology – as one of the main subjects) conducted by the Government of Tamilnadu or an Examination accepted as equivalent thereof by the Syndicate of the University of Madras.
Best Practices of the Department
- The department encourages students to present an oral presentation on a particular topic forming a group.
- A particular student is allowed to comment on the topic with illustrative examples in a powerpoint presentation.
- This enhances the communicative skills and dispels stage fear, and provides confidence to address a huge gathering in future.
- All faculties make sure that none of the class remains unattended, if any faculty is on leave, other faculties make sure that they engage the class.
- We maintain a separate book bank consisting of 100 books, and provide them on weekly basis, apart from general library for benefit of the students.
- All the faculties of the department are given equal importance to express their views on any issue or decision.
- All faculties cooperate together towards a single goal.
Will be updated soon...