About the Department
The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2001 with the aim of offering quality higher education to the students in the field of Biotechnology and motivating them to reach the pinnacle of success. The Department presently offers B.Sc Biotechnology and M.Sc Biotechnology in accordance with the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS), which allows students to opt for subjects on the basis of their area of interest. Over the years, the department is working constantly to enhance and build young talents who can excel in research and different areas of life sciences.
With the focus to provide an excellent environment for holistic development, the department is actively involved in organizing conferences, seminars, workshops, training and entrepreneurship programmes. The department coordinates guest talks by prominent resource persons and organizes field visits to Industrial and Research Institutes in order to benefit students with an exposure in research areas. Its pioneering curriculum with interdisciplinary areas focuses on practical training in environmental biotechnology, plant biotechnology, animal biotechnology, stem cell technology, molecular cell biology, immunology, recombinant technology, protein engineering, and bioinformatics.
The Department has state-of-the-art laboratories and is equipped with various instruments including CO2 incubator, Inverted microscope, UV-visible spectrophotometer, Lyophilizer, 96 well plate reader, Thermal cycler, High speed cooling centrifuge, Deep freezer, Ultrasonicator, Monocular and Binocular Microscopes, UV transilluminator, Microtome, Digital colorimeter, Hot air oven, Rotary shaker incubators, Tissue homogeniser etc., along with other ancillary instruments to facilitate academic cum research activities among the students. The Biotechnology department is also equipped with a separate library consisting of more than 750 books along with internet facilities available for the benefit of the students.
- To impart highly innovative and technical knowledge in the field of biotechnology.
- To create opportunities for multi-disciplinary education, training and research in biotechnology.
- To expand the scope of Industry -Academia interaction towards commercialization of bio products.
Our vision is to produce competent Biotechnologists with profound expertise, providing a sustainable competitive edge to the present society with their entrepreneurial skills.
Highlights of the Department
- State-of-the-art Laboratory facility
- Excellent Academic Infrastructure
- Competitive Curriculum and Student Centric Teaching Methods
- Well Experienced Teaching Staffs
- International & National Conference, Workshop, Seminar and Symposia
- Biotechnology Club Association & Student Club Activities
- Memorandum of Understanding with Different Industries, Placement & Career guidance
- Strong Alumni Network
- Skill oriented training, Internships & Research based activities
Best Practices of the Department
- Mentoring and counseling sessions - To support students in developing their strengths, improving their mental well-being and assisting them to help identify career paths.
- MoUs - Collaborations to benefit student development and Placement, Career counseling in industries.
- Industrial Visits - For students to acquire practical insights and exposure to industry operations.
- Skill Oriented Training programme - Professional oriented skill based training programme for students to meet the industrial needs.
- Technosaviour - Biotechnology Student Association focusing on engaging the minds of students, developing their communication skills, concentrating on co-curricular activities and discovering unfamiliar research areas.
- Alumni association- A platform to promote interaction between current students and department alumni who mentor students on internships, research and career opportunities.
Head In-Charge & Assistant Professor
Guest Lecture, September 4, 2019
Industrial Visit – 19th December, 2019
Industrial Visit, 8th August, 2019
National Symposium, 5th February, 2020
National Workshop, 3rd& 4th September, 2019
Student achievements, 2019
Technosaviour 2020- An Intercollegiate Event, 28th January, 2020
Technosaviour Club Inaugural & Guest Lecture, 1st August, 2019
Workshop, 24th& 25th January, 2020
DEPARTMENT YOUTUBE CHANNEL
DEPARTMENT INSTAGRAM PAGE